Call Now 877.767.2407Thursday, May 23, 2019
Prevent Fire Damage in the Kitchen
By Jonathan Meyer
The kitchen is potentially the most dangerous area in your home. It contains many hazards that can cause burns and unintentional fires.
To keep your kitchen hazard-free, follow the basic safety rules:
- Place a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.
- Install and regularly maintain a smoke detector.
- Store cleaning products and chemicals away from the reach of children.
- Never leave a fire or heat source unattended.
Oven and Stove
Clean the oven and range often; be thorough and work safely. This will prevent residual grease and food from catching fire.
Be careful when you cook:
- Keep pot handles turned inward, away from the edge of the stove.
- It is recommended not to wear long, loose sleeves that can hang over the stove while cooking.
- Always keep an eye on the oven when it is switched on and be sure to turn it off when done cooking.
Make sure that flammable fabrics, such as towels, dish rags or curtains are not placed near a gas or electric range. Never hang towels on or over the stove.
Be extremely cautious with flammable liquids such as gasoline and cleaning fluids as a small spark from the range is enough to ignite the vapors from these liquids.
Do not assume that items heated in the microwave oven are not as hot as items heated in the oven. Even though the container may not heat up, the food itself does.
Be sure all the vents are cleared of obstructions and that the microwave oven has an adequate space for air circulation. Never put foil or other metals in a microwave oven.
Use only appliances that have been tested and approved by a recognized testing facility. Do not overload electrical outlets. Check regularly for worn or broken wiring and be sure to make necessary repairs on time.
Make sure appliance cords are kept on the counter to prevent them from accidentally being pulled down.
Frying Pans and Deep Fryers
One of the best ways to prevent deep fryer fires is to use a thermostat controlled fryer. Do not let fat and grease build up on the stove or pans; fat and grease can easily catch fire.
Smart Tips for Fire Damage Prevention in the Kitchen:
- Clean grease from the oven and gas range often.
- Keep pots away from the edge of the stove.
- Do not to wear long, loose sleeves while cooking.
- Never hang combustibles on or over the stove.
- Never put foil or other metals in a microwave oven.
Complete the form and
get a call back
--- OR ---
Call our 24/7 Hotline and speak with a live agent now!
Important To Read