Call NowThursday, December 05, 2013
Prevent Fire Damage in the Living Room - part 2
By Jonathan Meyer
After following the basic steps in part 1 of this article and learning how to prevent fire damage caused by heaters, read this part to learn how to inspect and maintain the other risk elements in your living room.
Electricity and Electrical Devices
Start with checking the outlets, sockets, and extension cord. Verify that they are not overloaded or worn. Make sure that extension cords do not run under rugs or carpets and that they are not looped over nails or other sharp objects that could cause them to fray. If you have children, sockets must be covered with child-proof fittings.
Lamps and light fixtures should be used with bulbs with proper wattage. A proper wattage is smaller than or equal to the maximum wattage prescribed by the manufacturer.
Keep clearance around the TV and stereo equipment to allow an air space around them and prevent overheating. Make sure the fuses in the plugs of your TV or stereo are rated correctly and that the wiring is not worn or damaged.
If electrical equipment is left on at night, install a smoke alarm in the living room.
Smoking, Lighters and Matches
Do not leave burning cigarettes unattended, even in an ashtray. They can fall onto furniture, newspapers or fabrics and smolder developing into a serious fire within minutes. Be sure to extinguish smoking materials before you leave the room or go to sleep.
The contents of ashtrays must be cold before you throw them to the trash. Use solid and stable ashtrays, made of non-combustible material. Too small or too full ashtrays are hazardous. Ashtrays should be large, deep and frequently emptied.
Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children and educate children that matches and lighters are not toys. Childproof lighters and matchboxes are recommended if children are present.
Although popular and romantic, candles may be dangerous due to naked flames that can cause a fire if you are not careful.
Use a proper candleholder and make sure the candle fits firmly inside it. Leave enough space above and around the candle to minimize the potential of fire even if it falls.
Keep candles away from curtains, furniture, and anything else that can catch fire. Do not place candles near open windows or where they are exposed to drafts.
Never leave candles unattended or go to sleep while they are lit.
Smart Tips for Fire Damage Prevention in the Living Room:
- Never overload outlets and extension cords
- Keep an air space around the TV and stereo equipment
- Do not leave burning cigarettes unattended
- Use solid and stable ashtrays
- Use proper candleholders
- Keep candles away from curtains, furniture and other combustibles
Your First Step
Complete the form and
get a call back
--- OR ---
Call our Hotline and
speak with us now!