Call Now (877) 767-2407Wednesday, January 17, 2018
Prevent Fire Damage in the Garage
By the RestorationSOS Educational Staff
The most common source of fire damage in the home is in the kitchen, but running a close second is the garage. Cars make their home in the garage, and many people like to use the garage for working on them which means there may be oil or gas or other flammable material located within this enclosed space. Add to that the clutter that goes along with the use of many garages as storage space and you have the perfect spot for fires to occur.
As with any case of fire damage (or even water or mold damage), the best defense is always a good offense, which means being proactive when it comes to making sure your garage is as safe as possible from any fire threat. Fluids, fuels, and cleaners need to be properly sealed, and flammable materials should be stored far away from flammable elements.
Garage Fire Prevention Tips
Electrical devices may also be used in the garage and the possibility of overloading the electrical box should never be ignored. Unplugging these units when not in use will go a long way towards preventing a fire from starting unexpectedly. Many folks keep fire extinguishers handy in their kitchens, but keeping one in the garage isn't a bad idea either.
You can also cut down on the fire threat by making sure that a hatch covers any entrance to your attic as well as determining if the ceiling and walls in the garage are fire-resistant. Unfortunately, many of us won't be able to tell if that is the case, so calling in a fire safety professional is recommended.
Clear the garage of clutter. It not only makes it safer when walking around but cuts down on the likelihood of a fire spreading in the event of an unexpected ignition.
Keep flammable liquids stored in small amounts and preferably away from any heat sources such as vents, space heaters, and pilot lights. By the same token, keep propane tanks stored outside. They are sturdy and equipped for exterior storage. Remember that propane tanks are prone to ignition or explosion.
Make sure the door leading to the living area of your home is properly sealed to prevent carbon monoxide, gasoline, or other harmful fumes from entering. If you smell anything that you normally associate with your garage, chances are your door seals have failed.
What to do if Your Garage Catches Fire
In the event of a garage fire, call your local fire damage restoration professional. Residents are advised to stay out of the damage zone due to the threat of the fire reigniting or the health hazards presented by smoke and other fumes which may be toxic.
Your local certified professionals will be able to be onsite promptly to assess the problem and begin the restoration process.
Complete the form and
get a call back
--- OR ---
Call our Hotline and
speak with us now!